Welcome from the Chair of Governors
Meadowfield School Governing Body
The Governors of Meadowfield School work closely with the Senior Leadership Team and staff to uphold the School Ethos and Values and ensure that every pupil and student has the best individual learning opportunity and is able to maximise their development and progress to lead the fullest possible adult life.
The role of the Governors is a strategic one in the development of the school, with day to day management and operational issues delegated to the Senior Leadership Team.
The three core responsibilities of the Governing Body are:
- to hold the Principal to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils,
- ensure clarity of the school’s vision, ethos, values and strategic direction, and
- to oversee the financial performance of the school ensuring its money is well spent.
Additionally, the Governing Body maintains a high focus on Safeguarding and Child Protection in line with DfE guidance “Keeping Children Safe in Education”, with Safeguarding being a standing agenda item at every Full Governing Body meeting.
Our Governing Body Constitution consists of 17 Governors:
• 1 Headteacher
• 1 Staff Governor, elected by staff
• 1 Local Authority Governor, appointed by the Governing Body
• 2 Parent Governors, elected by parents
• 10 Co-opted Governors, appointed by the Governing Body
• 2 Foundation Governors, appointed by the Governing Body.
We operate a two Teams system: Wellbeing & Development and Teaching & Outcomes. All Governors attend Full Governing Body meetings and every Governor is a member of at least one Team. Every meeting is minuted by our Clerk and these minutes, minus any confidential discussions, are available to parents and stakeholders by request.
Our current Governors are as follows:
Principal: Ms J Palmer
Staff Governor: Miss D Simms
Parent Governors: Mrs D Hancock
Co-Opted Governors: Mrs K Alderdice
Mrs Y Cherry
Mr A Martin
Mrs C Tucker
Foundation Governors: Mrs R Kane
Chair of Governors Mrs R Kane
Vice Chair of Governors Mr A Martin
Clerk to the Governors Mrs K Wilson
In addition to their membership of one of the Governing Body Teams, some Governors have specific roles and responsibilities as follows:
Safeguarding Mrs Y Cherry
Training and Development Mrs K Alderdice
Self Evaluation and Monitoring Mrs K Alderdice
Health and Safety Mrs D Hancock
SEN Mrs R Kane
Children in Care Mrs Y Cherry
Early Years Mrs C Tucker
Attendance Miss D Simms
Our Governors’ attendance at meetings is excellent; full details of attendance can be accessed by clicking here.
Over the last year, we have achieved all targets on our Governor Action plan, including:
- A restructuring of our teams in order to better address key areas of responsibility and to ensure meetings are focused and targeted.
- Approved a staffing restructure to meet the needs of our expanding school.
- Attended focused Learning Walks and monitored the implementation of actions arising from these, in particular, Safeguarding and Visual Aids and Supports.
- Overseen the further development of the IMPACTS and Extended IMPACTS curriculum across all phases of the school.
- Introduced a Parent Forum group and instigated the reinstatement of the PTA “FOMS” (Friends of Meadowfield School) committee.
- Introduced more regular Newsletters for parents and stakeholders.
- Formed an “Ofsted Ready” Task and Finish Group, comprising members of the Governing Body, to focus on ensuring we retain our Outstanding judgement at the next inspection.
- Updated our Governor Code of Conduct to take account of the ever increasing use of Social Media and to remind ourselves of our duty regarding confidentiality.
- Attended regular training opportunities offered by the Local Authority as well as in-school sessions to extend our skill set and knowledge of new legislation and statutory duties.
Our Priorities for this Year
In the forthcoming academic year we will work towards:
- Maintaining our Outstanding status and continuing to build on our outstanding practice.
- Ensuring Governance is also Outstanding.
- Monitoring and overseeing the expansion of the school in terms of pupil numbers and the necessary building works to accommodate our growing roll.
- Overseeing the safety of our pupils, staff and all stakeholders during the building works.
- Developing and maintaining a good relationship within the community, in particular our local neighbours to ensure minimum disruption during the building works.
- Assessing the impact and success of the school’s new Nurture Group.
- Continuing with our Learning Walks and encouraging staff and pupil involvement and feedback.
- Extending our commitment to the KSent Trust and working collaboratively with colleagues from other member schools.
- Working with school towards taking over responsibility for pupil transport from the Local Authority.
- Continuing to monitor progress towards targets on the school’s Strategic Improvement Plan by scrutinising evidence showing progress and noting key successes or areas for development, including inviting key staff members to attend meetings and report to Governors.
- Achieving the Leading Parent Partnership Award (LPPA).
- Inviting some of our 6th Form students to join the Governing Body as Associate Members and coming along to meetings, where appropriate.
- Ensuring all school policies are reviewed and updated and involving parents for their input when appropriate.
- Continuing to encourage parental engagement via the Parent Forum and any other opportunities as appropriate.
- Monitoring attendance, with a link Governor working closely with the Principal.
We always welcome suggestions, feedback and ideas from parents. Please contact the Chair of Governors via the Clerk to the Governors at Kim.Wilson@meadowfield.kent.sch.uk if you would like to discuss anything.